Monday, April 16, 2012

A Pearl: The End Is Nice Too!

How many times do we hear (and say), 'it's really about the journey'?  This is generally the statement that follows an account of either a disappointing end or a failure to finish at all.  I agree that the journey is important but I also accept that there is value in the conclusion.

The hiking journeys over the past few months have been amazing.  I've viewed and touched new flora and fauna on each trip.  Despite primarily hiking in only two states, no terrain has become boring.  Since I am drawn to water, each bubbling creek or waterfall has been a treat.  That being said, I also enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes with completing the hike that I set out to do.  And yes I know that I have few options other than completing it (government funding is down so I can't depend on finding park rangers and other personnel responsible for rescuing city dwellers lost in the woods), but still, I do my own inner victory lap when I do finish.

This was the end of Part 1 of our Foothills Trail series.  My car was 7.5 miles back at Oconnee State Park.  You could not tell me I was not 'winning' after getting this one under my belt.
 Perhaps this is because so often in life, I tell myself and others to should savor the process and learn from it.  Valuable advice but if I'm honest with myself, I need to recognize that my affinity for 'the process' is sometimes my excuse for an undesirable outcome (not finishing or poor product).  If the outcome of the process is desirable I am a lot less likely to spend a significant amount of time discussing the fabulous process or better yet the outcomes that are secondary to the target outcome. 

So yes, the journey should be savored, but maybe we should start giving the end a little love too.  Until next time friends.

1 comment:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with my journeys. haha! I love the flats and downs and hate the ups sometimes. But the end, I truly savor. I agree, the End is nice too :) So glad you are blogging. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete